From my heart ...

From my heart ...

Monday, June 27, 2011

Jesus Taught Me How To Pray

Just sitting here.  Alone.

Thinking.  Wondering.  Questioning.

Why?

Because sometimes I just don't know how to pray.
'When you pray, go into your room.
Close the door, and pray to your Father (God) who is unseen.
Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.'
Matthew 6:6
Its not that prayer is at all new to me.  I'm quite familiar with the concept.

Jesus and I have shared quiet prayer time daily since I was nearly five years old.

Matter of fact, I cannot recall a day in my life that did not include prayer.

I understand full well that prayer is my spiritual communion with the Lord.

Yet at times, I still find myself questioning:  'How in the world do I pray about this?'  Whatever the 'this' may be at the time.

While sitting here in my self-induced solitude, trying to figure out how to pray - particularly regarding a circumstance that both saddens and dumbfounds me - I decided to ask Him.  THE Him.

Without delay, He - THE He - spoke to my heart through these verses:

Matthew 6: 6
When you pray, go into your room.
Close the door, and pray to your Father (God) who is unseen.
Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matthew 6: 9 & 10
This then is how you should pray ... (vs. 9)
Thy will (God's will) be done. (vs. 10)

Matthew 6: 36-39
Then Jesus went with His disciples to a place called Gethsemane.
And He said to them, 'Sit here while I go over there and pray.'
He (Jesus) took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with Him,
And He began to be sorrowful and troubled.
Then, He said to them ...
My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.
Stay here and keep watch with me.
Going a little farther,
He fell with His face to the ground and prayed ...
My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.
Yet, not as I will - but, as You will.

That's it then.  He answered my question.

I'll go to my room, close the door, and pray to My Father (God).

And though I am overwhelmed with sorrow, I will pray on bended knees with my face to the ground.  I'll make my requests known to Him, finishing my prayers with - 'Yet, not as I will, but as You will.

'Do not be anxious about anything.
But in every situation, with prayer, petition, and thanksgiving,
Present your requests to God.'
Philippians 4:6

'God will meet all your needs,
According to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus.'
Philippians 4:19
I don't feel so alone anymore.

But, I still have some work to do on the 'anxious' part.

Outta Control

I'd like to think that I'm far from being a control freak.  I'd like to think that I'm more than willing to allow others to ...