From my heart ...

From my heart ...

Monday, June 20, 2011

A Change of Plans

'Do not boast about tomorrow,
For you do not know what a day may bring.'  - Proverbs 27: 1

'Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.
What is your life?
You are a mist that appears for a little while, and then vanishes.'  - James 4: 14


You'd think that by now I'd have this whole 'life' thing down pat.

My entire life, my Dad has reminded me:  'It takes a lifetime to learn how to live, Lori.'

Apparently, I've got a bit more to learn.

Fortunately, my m.o. (method of operation) keeps me from getting too awfully shook up about things that might not necessarily go according to plan.

I'm quite alright with changes in plans ...
  • When I was a little girl, I dreamed of marrying fairytale Prince Charming.
  • When I became a big girl, I fell in love with and married real-life Joe instead.
  • When I was a little girl, I thought my parents were clueless.
  • When I became a big girl, I realized the cluelessness was all mine.
  • When I was a little girl, I was certain I'd be a Veterinarian when I grew up.
  • When I became a big girl, I changed my certitude to Pediatric Nursing.
  • When I was a little girl, I couldn't imagine being a Gramma.
  • When I became a big girl, I couldn't imagine not being a Gramma.

Even as recently as this very week, significant changes have taken place to big plans I'd made.

But, I'm really okay with that. 

I've learned to be at peace with plan-changes, knowing that ultimately God's will will be done - no matter what my own original plan may have been.

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand.
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.
(lyrics and composer - Ira Forest Stanphill)


It takes a lifetime to learn how to live,
How to share, and how to give,
How to face tragedy that comes your way,
How to find courage to face each new day.
How to smile when your heart is sore,
How to go on when you can take no more.
How to laugh when you want to cry,
How to be brave when you say goodbye.
How to still love when your loss is great,
How to forgive when your urge is to hate.
How to be sure God's really there,
How to find Him ... Seek Him in prayer.

- Ruth Moyer Gilmore

Outta Control

I'd like to think that I'm far from being a control freak.  I'd like to think that I'm more than willing to allow others to ...