From my heart ...

From my heart ...

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Outta Control

I'd like to think that I'm far from being a control freak.  I'd like to think that I'm more than willing to allow others to be the star of the show.  And, I'd like to think that I'm not bothered in the least when folks take over my kitchen.  Or my household chores.  Or anything else that belongs to me, and only me.

Contrary to my personal thoughts of self, its been brought to my attention by those closest to me that control might as well be my middle name.  That's right.

Self-realization can be tough to swallow.  *choke*cough*

Realization of self smacked me square in the face when my daughters requested that I relax this Christmas season, and allow them to do all the planning and cooking and cleaning for our annual Bowser Family Christmas.  I thought, 'this is gonna be great.'  Why in the world would I have any problem allowing all the work to be done for me?

Because someone else was doing it.  That's why!

It wasn't easy to sit back with my feet propped up ... not knowing what we were going to eat, not knowing for absolute certain that all the gifts were wrapped and properly placed under the tree, and not knowing what was going on in my kitchen while I sat in the next room pretending to be totally 'chill'.

Relax?  Out of the question.

I'm not exactly certain of the number of times I sent text messages to my daughters offering my advice, or asking if I could help in any way, or even how many times I popped up out of my recliner to simply check on things in my kitchen.  But, I think Shelby was counting.  Perhaps my kitchen appearances were one too many?  Outta control even?

I'll do better next time.  Because in the end, our Christmas celebration was perfect in every way.  Even without my contributions.

It's sometimes heartwarming to think, 'they can't get along without me.'  But on the flip side, it's good to know 'they can.'

Taking this whole control thing a step further, its quite possible that I attempt to manage or control my relationship with Jesus in the same manner.  I'm working on the whole 'not my will, but Thine' thing.

I'm a work in progress.

Outta Control

I'd like to think that I'm far from being a control freak.  I'd like to think that I'm more than willing to allow others to ...