From my heart ...

From my heart ...

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Out of My Comfort Zone

What just happened? 

Hadn't I already made up my mind?  Hadn't I already decided I was not going to put myself in that place again?  Hadn't I already determined stepping out on a limb was risky business?

No, the limb relationship was not romantic in nature.  Instead, it was a relationship of a much different sort.  My limb and I were to have developed a trusting and genuine friendship.  At least, that's how it was supposed to have played out.

It didn't.

My limb broke.  Hard.  And in pieces.

Then God stepped in.

Apparently, He'd determined my limb needed re-visitation.

And apparently, He was intent on persuading me to realize that the limb-stepping business isn't necessarily as monstrous a risk as I might have supposed.

Despite my determination to avoid limbs, at all costs even, my Lord scooped me right up from where I thought I'd securely cemented my feet, and transplanted me smack dab in the middle of a similar limb.  A limb I was avoiding - like the plague.

Just so you know, He and I had discussed this whole limb-thing many times over the past two months.  I'd already expressed my concern to God that limbs were not for me, and not at all what I'd bargained for.

Oh sure,  I had prayed for His divine intervention.  But honestly, my prayers weren't all that convincing - to myself even.

But oh, what a wonderful thing when God intervened anyway.  Despite my having given up on going out on a limb.

I'm gonna stay out on this limb awhile.  I believe it's a little stronger than the other one.  And, I believe I'm a little stronger because of the limb that broke.

What if this one breaks? 

There are other limbs in the forest.  Lots of 'em.

What an awesome God we serve.

I don't know about tomorrow.
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to grey.
I don't worry about the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what lies ahead.
 
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand.
But I know who holds tomorrow,
And I know who holds my hand.
 
- Lyrics by Ira Stanphill, 1950 -


Outta Control

I'd like to think that I'm far from being a control freak.  I'd like to think that I'm more than willing to allow others to ...